March 15, 1970

Top Hat (1935) *****

A superb musical with hilarious comedy, superlative dances and a top Irving Berlin's score. The songs are timeless. Early in the film comes "Isn't This A Lovely Day":

Isn't this a lovely day
To be caught in the rain ?
You were going on your way,
Now you've got to remain
Just as you were going,
Leaving me all at sea
The clouds broke
They broke, and oh
What a break for me

Soon after, Fred Astaire sings the title number:

I just got an invitation through the mails
'Your presence is requested this evening
It's formal - top hat, white tie and tails'
Nothing now can take the wind out of my sails
Because I'm invited to step out this evening,
Top hat, white tie and tails
Oh, I'm puttin' on my top hat
Straigtenin' my white tie
Tyin' up my tails
I'm dudin' up my shirt front
Puttin' in my shirt studs
Polishin' my nails

But the most romantic number is "Cheek To Cheek":

Heaven
I'm in heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek
Heaven
I'm in heaven,
And the cares that hung around me through the week
Seem to vanish like a gambler's lucky streak
When we're out together dancing cheek to cheek

The plot involves a series of mistaken-identity complications. Famous dancer Fred Astaire meets society girl Ginger Rogers and falls in love with her. Musical numbers:

"No Strings" ***
"Isn't This A Lovely Day" ***
"Top Hat" ***
"Cheek To Cheek" ***
"The Piccolino" ***